Sweden Road Trip

Traffic accidents & roadside assistance

Many people have asked us what to do if you’re involved in a traffic accident in Sweden, or if you’re in need of help and professional support along the road.

The basics

If you’re involved in an accident the first thing to do is always to check if anyone is injured, and if so, immediately call the national emergency number 112. It’s free to call from all phones and cell phones so don’t worry about your mobile plan.

If there’s no injury, but your car is damaged and can’t be moved, you must make passing traffic aware of the situation by putting out your warning triangle. This is a mandatory accessory in your vehicle and it must be used any time your car is standing still on the road, or by the roadside, in a zone where parking is not allowed and where the speed limit exceeds 50 km/h.
The triangle shall be placed clearly visible to warn passing traffic, typically 50-100 meters behind your vehicle’s location.

If your car has gone off the road and you need to leave the site, put the warning triangle on top of the vehicle as a sign that no one is in need of help inside.

It is also recommended to keep a reflecting safety vest in your vehicle. It is always important to remain visible for other drivers, especially if you’re having car trouble at nighttime.

In need of repair or car towing?

Call Assistancekåren, 020-912 912 (+4620-912 912), if you need help with your vehicle. They offer nation-wide assistance with roadside repair and towing. The cost for this service depends on your insurance, and if you have a rental car you should check this with you rental car company. As a basic rule: if someone else caused the accident you should not have to pay anything at all.

You should not attempt to drive away from the scene of the accident with a damaged car even if there is no visible damage. This may worsen internal damages and unnoticed oil leakage, for example, may increase the risk of fire hazards.


If you hit a wild animal

This is not very uncommon in Sweden and you may see roadkills such as foxes or badgers every now and then. This is not a big deal and should not damage you or your car. However, colliding with wild boars, a moose or a deer may be extremely dangerous and even fatal.

You should be extra careful when you see such warning signs along the road, during moose hunting season in autumn and when driving over smaller bridges (animals may use them too). Animal collision is also slightly more common when driving at dusk or dawn.

If you hit a larger animal:

  1. The first thing you should do is to place a warning triangle to warn passing traffic.
  2. Mark the site of the accident and if the animal has dissapeared; mark the correct side of the road. This is done to help trained hunters track down the injured animal.
  3. Call 112 and report the accident. It is not illegal to hit a wild animal but it is illegal not to report it.
  4. Do not attempt to put the animal down if you do not have the proper experience. If the animal is dead you may however try to move it off the road.


Use your best judgement on the road and as always, drive carefully!

Share this info: